Sunday, May 31, 2009

Facebook and Twitter

This evening I deactived my Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Facebook I never got in to - I stopped using it because I never posted on it and I got fed up with request to be "friends" with people I had never heard of. Most of these were "friends" of my daughters and I have realized that at 49 years of age I am about 25 years too old. I won't miss this.

As for Twitter - you know I actually took out my iPhone in the pub last Thursday evening to record that I was in the pub on Twitter! How sad is that? I enjoyed it for the EdTech conference last week, but this fad is over for me.

Marc Prensky famously wrote about the Digital Immigrants (me) vs the Digital Natives (my kids) - though I pride myself in keeping up-to-date with all the latest technologies. I have been using computers since about 1986 and consider myself to have the "digital wisdom" that Prensky now writes about. However, Facebook and Twitter are too much for me. I love the freedom of expression that Blogger allows me and I hope to keep this web page going until I can no longer type (hopefully 30+ years from now). So whatever the next big thing is, I will probably just stick to Blogger.

Many of us have too much of an on-line presence, and sign up to the NBT - time to consolidate.

2 comments:

  1. Noooooooooooooooo! Twitter is fantastic, the experience at EdTech really cemented that view for me and I felt part of a real community. It added a whole other dimension to the conference for people. I also enjoy Facebook but I use it to communicate with my friends and share pictures. With Twitter I engage more with people I have never actually met but would rather like to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm inclined to agree. I spend enough time at work with the web and all other related social networking sites for promotion that then feel I need a break from my pc and the more information I put on the net the more likely I think you open yourself up to people who might use that information against you.

    ReplyDelete