Monday, June 01, 2009

The 1911 census


The National Archives of Ireland is currently working on a project to digitize the 1911 census of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Archives for Co Cork, where my Dad's family were from, have recently been released and I decided to take a quick look around what's available. After some searching I found the census form for my great-grandfather Joseph O'Loughlin's family. They are listed under the family name of "Loughlin".

The actual document signed by my great-grandfather is scanned and available for viewing on-line - click here to see a PDF version. He is listed as a widower - his second wife Julia had died in 1907, his first wife Mary died in 1902. His only son "Pattie" is listed aged 6 - this of course is my grandfather PJ O'Loughlin. Interestingly there is also a Eugene Loughlin listed, aged 28, as a "farm servant". It's possible that he is a relation, but I don't have him on my family tree. I'll check this out with my third cousin and O'Loughlin family guru on all things ancestral - Catherine Culloty.

It's fascinating to see such an old document. I intend to print off a copy to give to Dad - I'm sure he has never seen his grandfather's signature before, and I know he'll be fascinated to see the document with his father listed as a child.



No comments:

Post a Comment