Thursday, September 09, 2010

Is there a God? What Stephen Hawking says...

ABC News in a report Stephen Hawking: 'Science Makes God Unnecessary' (by Nick Watt) explores the debate about the existence or not of God. According to Hawking, "One can't prove that God doesn't exist....but science makes God unnecessary". He goes on to say "The laws of physics can explain the universe without the need for a creator".

When I was in school, we talked about God in Religion class, not in Physics class! According to Hawking, something can be created from nothing and he believes our universe was created from nothing. Of course, he can express any opinion he wants, like the rest of us - he can't prove that God exists or not, or if He was created by humans to explain gaps in knowledge (as Hawking has said in the past).

I don't know whether there is a God or not, but I've always assumed that there is "something". I do use expressions like "Please God" and "Thank God" a lot. I go to Mass (occasionally), and when at funerals I do believe that the person who has died has gone to another place, and I pray that their soul rests in peace. But there is also a certain denial - what if there is no God or Afterlife? Am I just convincing myself that there is "something" out there just in case? Is it all, as the late Mick Lally put it - "all a load of codswallop"?

I once spoke with a priest at a wedding reception several years ago, and discussed the existence of God and the Afterlife. While he obviously had strong faith (he's still a priest), he didn't know either whether God existed or not. When I asked him "Do you think your life will have been a waste if you had proof that there was no God?" - he said "Yes".

No comments:

Post a Comment